How do you change your filed tax return?


personal income tax vancouver, income tax services vancouver, income tax company vancouver, how to file income tax in vancouver, file income tax vancouver, business tax services vancouver, business tax return tax preparation vancouver, tax preparation company Vancouver, tax preparation services vancouver bc, e tax filing income tax return vancouver, T1 General 2016, T1 General 2016 Vancouver, tax slips, income tax slips, tax information, T4, T5, T3, missing tax slips

Whether it’s because your received a tax slip too late or hungoverly forgot to submit the documentation, here’s how you can make changes to an individual income tax return:

  1. Do NOT file another return for that year
  2. Wait for your notice of assessment before asking for changes to your return
  3. Go online (recommended, as it’s the speediest option!)
    • Log in to My Account
    • Click Change my return. You cannot use Change my return to change the following, according to the CRA:
      • a tax return that has not been assessed (see #2  above)
      • a tax return where nine reassessments exist for a particular tax year
      • a bankruptcy return
      • a return prior to the year of bankruptcy
      • carryback amounts such as capital or non-capital losses
      • a return of an international or non-resident client (including deemed residents of Canada, newcomers to Canada, and individuals who left Canada during the year)
      • the elected split-pension amount
      • a return where you have income from a business with a permanent establishment outside your province or territory of residence (you have to complete Form T2203, Provincial and Territorial Taxes – Multiple Jurisdictions)
      • If any of the above apply to you, see “Mail it”option (#5) below
    • Sign up for online mail to get instant access to your CRA records
  4. Contact your tax preparer (Homeroom loves to save the day!)
  5. Mail it: Send a signed letter to your tax centre asking for an adjustment to your return
    • By Mail: If you send a letter, make sure to give your name, address, and social insurance number and which tax year you want to adjust.
    • Send the following to your tax centre:
      • A completed Form T1-ADJ, T1 Adjustment Request, or a signed letter giving details of your request (including the years of the returns to be changed), your social insurance number, your address, and a telephone number where we can call you during the day
      • ALL supporting documents, including those for the original assessment, for your change

IMPORTANT: Send your current year return separately from any request to change a return for another year.

The Wait Game

  • Online: 2 weeks
  • Mail: 8 weeks

It may take longer if CRA is requesting more information or your request is sent in spring or summer.

When CRA review is done, you will receive:

  • a notice of reassessment showing any changes to your return and
  • a letter explaining why we did not make the changes you asked for or if no changes were needed

Want to receive a tax reminder?

Complete form below, and here’s to a perfect 2017 tax season!

[av_contact email=’info@homeroombookkeeping.com’ title=’Add me to the tax reminder list!’ button=’Submit’ on_send=” sent=’Your message has been sent!’ link=’manually,http://’ subject=” autorespond=” captcha=” form_align=” color=”]
[av_contact_field label=’Name’ type=’text’ options=” multi_select=” av_contact_preselect=” check=’is_empty’ width=”][/av_contact_field]
[av_contact_field label=’E-Mail’ type=’text’ options=” multi_select=” av_contact_preselect=” check=’is_email’ width=”][/av_contact_field]
[av_contact_field label=’Subject’ type=’text’ options=” multi_select=” av_contact_preselect=” check=’is_empty’ width=”][/av_contact_field]
[av_contact_field label=’Message’ type=’textarea’ options=” multi_select=” av_contact_preselect=” check=’is_empty’ width=”][/av_contact_field]




Need Help With Bookkeeping? Contact Us Today

Leave a comment