Whether it’s because your received a tax slip too late or hungoverly forgot to submit the documentation, here’s how you can make changes to an individual income tax return:
- Do NOT file another return for that year
- Wait for your notice of assessment before asking for changes to your return
- Go online (recommended, as it’s the speediest option!)
- Log in to My Account
- Click Change my return. You cannot use Change my return to change the following, according to the CRA:
- a tax return that has not been assessed (see #2 above)
- a tax return where nine reassessments exist for a particular tax year
- a bankruptcy return
- a return prior to the year of bankruptcy
- carryback amounts such as capital or non-capital losses
- a return of an international or non-resident client (including deemed residents of Canada, newcomers to Canada, and individuals who left Canada during the year)
- the elected split-pension amount
- a return where you have income from a business with a permanent establishment outside your province or territory of residence (you have to complete Form T2203, Provincial and Territorial Taxes – Multiple Jurisdictions)
- If any of the above apply to you, see “Mail it”option (#5) below
- Sign up for online mail to get instant access to your CRA records
- Contact your tax preparer (Homeroom loves to save the day!)
- Mail it: Send a signed letter to your tax centre asking for an adjustment to your return
- By Mail: If you send a letter, make sure to give your name, address, and social insurance number and which tax year you want to adjust.
- Send the following to your tax centre:
- A completed Form T1-ADJ, T1 Adjustment Request, or a signed letter giving details of your request (including the years of the returns to be changed), your social insurance number, your address, and a telephone number where we can call you during the day
- ALL supporting documents, including those for the original assessment, for your change
IMPORTANT: Send your current year return separately from any request to change a return for another year.
The Wait Game
- Online: 2 weeks
- Mail: 8 weeks
It may take longer if CRA is requesting more information or your request is sent in spring or summer.
When CRA review is done, you will receive:
- a notice of reassessment showing any changes to your return and
- a letter explaining why we did not make the changes you asked for or if no changes were needed
Want to receive a tax reminder?
Complete form below, and here’s to a perfect 2017 tax season!
[av_contact email=’firstname.lastname@example.org’ title=’Add me to the tax reminder list!’ button=’Submit’ on_send=” sent=’Your message has been sent!’ link=’manually,http://’ subject=” autorespond=” captcha=” form_align=” color=”]
[av_contact_field label=’Name’ type=’text’ options=” multi_select=” av_contact_preselect=” check=’is_empty’ width=”][/av_contact_field]
[av_contact_field label=’E-Mail’ type=’text’ options=” multi_select=” av_contact_preselect=” check=’is_email’ width=”][/av_contact_field]
[av_contact_field label=’Subject’ type=’text’ options=” multi_select=” av_contact_preselect=” check=’is_empty’ width=”][/av_contact_field]
[av_contact_field label=’Message’ type=’textarea’ options=” multi_select=” av_contact_preselect=” check=’is_empty’ width=”][/av_contact_field]