We’ve added Brott Development Group to our new client roster this fall! Brott Development is a project management firm that values innovative design. They specialize in residential and commercial construction projects. Owner Ben Brott talked to us about his vision, the construction industry, and what he likes about being a business owner.
When did you open your business?
What do you enjoy most about being a business owner?
I like working on the business — creating and refining operating processes. They make our service better, more accurate, and more engaging, and our clients happier. I also enjoy connecting and collaborating with talented professionals in my industry.
What motivated you to start your own business?
Anyone who has purchased an Apple product in the last decade would agree Apple’s packaging alone is nothing short of elegant. It conveys a thoughtfulness most companies don’t possess. I remember the absolute joy of opening my first Apple device. Before I could even see or touch the product inside, I could tell it was masterfully crafted, just by the box alone. It was a tactile experience that set the tone for how I perceived the product.
My motivation to start my own business was to mirror the experience I have written about above. I want to continually hone the design & build process to better serve clients, and to create and maintain long-lasting relationships with all project stakeholders
What’s your vision for the business?
To put it simply, I want this business to be the Apple, Tesla, or the Dyson of the construction industry — to be known for constantly pushing the innovation envelope. Working to achieve well beyond the status quo through innovation and improving services to ensure clients and stakeholders are satisfied.
What do you like about the construction industry?
Whether it’s a commercial space where we assist business owners build their dream or a home where we help people live the dream, I love to enhance clients’ lives in a significant way.
What advice do you have for prospective business owners?
- Work under a mentor a few years before you go out on your own.
- Make a business plan. This may be daunting so start with your business goals. Break your list down into three-year objectives, one-year objectives, and three-month objectives.
- Spend 20 per cent of your week working on your business even if you’re really busy.
- Unless you can guarantee cash flow, do it while you have a day job and build it slowly. When you have a solid base of experience and cash flow, go for it!
- Make a list of people to meet — this is as important as a To-Do List.
- Relationships are like muscles — the more you work them, the stronger they become.
- Find a role model and mentor for work and life.
- Be transparent. Be valuable.
How do you achieve a work/life balance?
I play hockey three times a week and often go for a at least one hike per week. Dinner and breakfast with friends and family is almost a daily occurrence.
Who could benefit from your services?
We facilitate the development process from feasibility to design to construction, and finally to finishing strong. We believe in a partnership approach to projects — one that is 100 per cent transparent. We work closely with clients and our stakeholders to make sure their expectations are met every step of the way, and that they enjoy the process from start to finish, and beyond.
Connect with Brott Development Group on Instagram or Pinterest.