Do you have all your income tax information neatly clipped in a smooth-surfaced Manila folder ready to go for tax season 2017? (Bonus points for dressing up your tax folder in self-affirming stickers that scream “AWESOME!!” or, “YOU ARE A STAR”).
If you are stonily shaking your head, read on:
Slips are provided by your employer, payer or administrator.
You should receive most of your slips and receipts by the end of February. However, T3 (Statement of Trust Income Allocations and Designations), and T5013 (Statement of Partnership Income) slips do not have to be sent before the end of March.
Still, by the time March rolls in, you might find yourself seething at the sight of your mail carrier, who’s brought you EVERYTHING—even Bob’s mail, and you don’t even KNOW a Bob—but your precious tax slips.
Take a moment to:
- Repeat this mantra: I will not go to jail, I will not go to jail, I will not go to jail
- Read this blog post about how to fetch your slips
Here are three ways to get a copy of your tax slips for the current year:
- Ask your employer, or the issuer of the slip, for a copy
- Complete a T1013 form. This allows a third-party (your accountant..us!) to view your tax information online. We issue this form to all our clients to make tax season as painless as possible.
IMPORTANT: If you have to file a return for 2016, file it on time even if some slips or receipts are missing.
Obtaining a slip for prior years
If you need a T-slip for a prior year, you can get a copy by:
- using the My Account for individuals service; or
- speaking to one of the CRA agents at 1-800-959-8281.
Ta-Da!! The CRA opens its online filing services February 20. Homeroom starts filing March 1!
You got this!!
Request the Homeroom E-return today here. We’ll take care of the rest!